Monday, December 22, 2008

Helping out

I love Christmas! People are so giving. I wish people behaved this way all year round (only exception being the crazy shoppers that steal things from your cart, and insist you stole something from theirs). We have had so many family events in the past few days, and are packed full for the rest of the year. I love it! I just can't help but wish it was this way all the time. Everyone is thinking of someone else, and what they could do for them that would make them smile... I mean it's just right isn't it?

This Saturday I got the opportunity to serve at the Love Kitchen. My Mother in Law and sister also readily voulenteered to help. I was really touched at what a little effort can do. Not many showed up because they are not used to getting food on the weekends, but the few that did show were very appreciative. It felt really good to help, and we had a lot of fun planning & preparing the food. It made me want to book myself every weekend for the rest of the year, and it also made me feel very grateful. For my family, for my husband that works so hard to provide for us, and just for the abundance that so many of us are blessed with everyday. We may be in peralous times, and have no clue what will be happening in the near future, but what a blessing to not have to worry about catching the bus so we can make it for dinner tonight. I am usually a believer that people make their own circumstances, but right now so many people are trying, and they just can't make it work. Regardless of my prideful outlook of who does and doesn't deserve assistance, I know that helping out is Christ like. No matter what those people are or are not doing, he would serve them. I am planning to set up a program after the new year to where we go every weekend to serve. I am not asking every weekend of you, but if you would like to spend an afternoon doing something truely fulfilling please let me know when you would like to participate, and who will be coming and I will be happy to sign you up. Also, if you need to get rid of any canned goods, or boxed food that you just are never going to use you would be surprised what they can do with it. Let me know and I'll be happy to let you know where to drop it, or take it up for you.

Merry Christmas

0 comments: